How Does Orthodontic Treatment Change Your Face?
Grayslake, IL – There are often many questions associated with orthodontic treatment. One may be, will the braces treatment change the shape of your face? As with everything else in orthodontics, the answer to that depends.
Can braces change your face shape?
“Orthodontic treatment is unique to each individual, and the changes braces make depend on what was being corrected,” says Dr. Michael Stosich. “Correcting issues such as underbites, overbites, and even open bites can lead to small changes in the facial appearance.”
- Underbites: This is the name of the malocclusion in which the bottom teeth protrude and come over the upper teeth when the patient closes their mouth
- Overbites: Overbite is the name of the malocclusion in which the upper teeth are protruding and putting the upper jaw in a more advanced position than the lower one.
- Open Bites: Openbite is another type of malocclusion that leads to an open space between the upper teeth and bottom teeth when the patient puts their upper teeth and bottom teeth together.
Above are the three most bite issues, but there are other malocclusions that orthodontic treatment can fix. Read this post to learn more about other common bite problems that orthodontics helps fix.
There are a few ways that might directly or indirectly lead to changes in the facial structure after braces and clear aligners like Invisalign treatment. Here are some of them:
- Improving facial symmetry
- Correcting misaligned jaw
- Restoring cheekbones symmetry
- Bite improvements
Braces & Face Shape FAQs
- Will braces make my nose look bigger or smaller? Braces will not affect the structure of your nose. Even though we are adjusting your upper jaw and tooth alignment, braces don’t affect your nose. However, your profile may be altered slightly, depending on the issue you are correcting. This may make your nose appear slightly different, even though nothing has changed with your nose itself.
- Do braces change the lips? Again, the braces themselves do not alter your lips, but they do alter the teeth that are behind the lips. Changing the alignment of your teeth can alter the look of your lips. If we are correcting an underbite, once your teeth are properly aligned, it may make your upper lip appear plumper. We do not alter anything with the lips themselves, but adjusting the alignment of the teeth can alter their appearance. During the course of your treatment, you may also feel that your lips seem larger – this is because they are now sitting on the brackets and wires and not the teeth themselves. This pushed them out just slightly.
- Will braces change my face shape? Yes, for some patients, braces can change your jawline, as well as the appearance of your chin and the shape of your mouth. Overbites give patients the appearance of an undefined lower jaw and weak chin, while underbites may make the lower jaw more prominent and can make the cheeks appear sunken in. Correcting these issues can alter your face shape.
- Will orthodontic treatment change the shape of my mouth? Depending on what is being corrected, you may notice a change in how your mouth itself looks. An open bite, for example, makes it difficult to close your mouth completely. This can make your mouth look stretched. Correcting the open bite will correct how your mouth can work, thereby giving you a slightly different look.
- Will braces make me look younger? There is no right and wrong answer to this question. In general, people can look better with straighter teeth. While braces can help improve the appearance of your smile and make you look a bit younger, they will not drastically change your perceived age.
- Do braces change your jawline? Braces change the position of your teeth and, in the case of overbites or underbites, your upper or lower jaw’s position. The effect of braces or Invisalign and, in general, orthodontic treatment on a person’s jawline can also vary from patient to patient, depending on the individual’s facial structure, age, and the severity of their malocclusion. However, in general, braces can slightly alter the shape of a person’s jawline by correcting the alignment of their teeth.
- Do braces make your jawline better? Braces can have a direct and indirect effect on the position of your jaws and their symmetry. This happens by aligning your teeth and enhancing the position of the jaws. Depending on the severity and type of malocclusion that you have, you might feel an improvement in your jawline after the braces treatment I completed.
The orthodontic treatment gives patients a boost of confidence
One of the biggest changes that patients experience after orthodontic treatment is a boost in confidence. Improving your smile can increase your self-esteem, helping you greet the world with a big smile.
When it comes to planning your orthodontic treatment, your orthodontist will carefully take into assess your lips and face and take into account any changes when planning your treatment. The goal of orthodontic treatment is to create a more beautiful smile and stable, healthy bite that allows the mouth to function properly.
Dr. Stosich and his team at iDentity Orthodontics are committed to using scientifically backed treatment plans to carefully craft stunning smiles and properly functioning bites. To schedule your orthodontic consultation, call 847-548-4200 (Round Lake & Grayslake) or 224-408-2200 (Wilmette & Kenilworth) today.